Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Candy!

Knowing that Will is a bit on the cautious side when it comes to experiencing new things, I kinda figured it would take some convincing to get him to climb into his Superman costume. Okay, so he didn't climb into it, we had to put it on him while he tried to convince us otherwise, "no, no, no, no!" For a week or so leading up to Halloween, I put the cape on myself and proceeded to fly around the house showing him how cool his costume really was (don't you wish you could've been a fly on the wall?). I even read him several books with characters he likes who were dressed up as superheros, and he still wasn't convinced.

Some good friends of ours own a local coffee shop here in town. On Friday night they hosted a Halloween bash at their store with live music, yummy food, and everyone came dressed in their creative attire (except for me - I came dressed as a pregnant lady). I thought that Will might be a bit braver for Dave, so I let him dress Will in his costume for the first time. I think Will felt a little silly wearing it, but once he got to the coffee shop and saw everyone else all dressed up, he felt pretty darn cool. He was dancing to the music and having a lot of fun with the other kids.




































Superman carbo-loading








The following day was Halloween, and once again, he wasn't stoked about getting back into his costume. Before I got him to put it on, I let him hand out candy when other kids came to our door, and he thought that was really fun. After a while I asked him if he wanted to dress up and walk around the neighborhood with the rest of kids. At first he said, no, but when I told him the goal was to get lots of candy, well, he quickly warmed up to the idea. Thankfully we lucked out with great weather that night and once he got out there he did not want to go home! I figured he'd be bored after a handful of houses, but every time I asked him if he wanted to go home, he would say, "one more house!" As a parent, it's so fun experiencing these things through your child's eyes. It makes me feel like a kid all over again.






































I tried to capture Superman changing out of his costume, and it turned out rather ghost-like. I figured it was appropriate for the occasion :)










On a separate note, still no news on the baby front. The challenge is that they gave me a "window" for my due date...somewhere between today and November 11th (the discrepancy came when the ultrasound showed that I was further along than their charts). All along I felt I was closer to the beginning of that window, but since the little guy is posterior, that seems to be delaying the process. I go in for another check-up on Thursday, so it'll be interesting to see what they say. Of course I would prefer not to be induced, but I'm curious to see how long they'll allow me to go knowing I have this "window" looming. I know he'll be here soon regardless, so I'm not overly anxious at this point. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

ProudMom said...

What a funny little guy, that Will is. :) I wonder if he'll be excited about costumes from here on out... He sure made a cute SuperMan! :)
Oh...windows for due dates...how vague. :) Praying for you...

the deKorne family said...

What an adorable Superman!!! I love him! So respect your attitude about this second baby...it's hard when it gets close to the end to be so gracious. I remember dancing with you when I was 38 weeks and hoping it would jar her out (once we got back home :)!) I was induced with Ava and had a fabulous experience, much preferred it to my 20 minute delivery of last time! Praying things go so smoothly for you and that he flips that face over!

Ben and Erin said...

Will is a very handsome superman. :) Sounds like he had a fun couple of nights. It is so fun to watch your child get so excited and enjoy something like Halloween tick-or-treating. We had fun doing that with Clare while she went from house to house--running most of the way. Thanks for the baby update. I'll be interested to hear how things are going after your appointment.

Chris Haven said...

You are such an awesome mom, wished you lived closer. Can't wait to see pics of your newest little boy.