Thursday, January 6, 2011

Onto the Next...

...house project, that is. After living in this house for a year and a half, we're finally getting around to some home improvement projects. It's been kind of nice to take our time, and really consider how we want to use each space, and not just rush into getting it done for the sake of getting it done. The week before we officially moved in last summer, we painted the boys' rooms. Last February we gutted and renovated our "Smurf" blue bathroom (which, by the way, I don't think I ever posted pictures, so here ya go, almost a year later), which I was ecstatic about, because it's the lone bathroom with a tub; hence where we bathe the boys. Makes me wish it were OUR bathroom :)




































This week we had our dining room and living room painted. We decided to paint them both the same color. Due to the lighting, it's probably kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but the color is a gray-ish taupe. Definitely a warmer gray, and I'm so happy with how it turned out. Isn't it funny, though, how one project leads to another? These two rooms are adjacent one another, with our entry and stairway in between them. Now that these two rooms have been completed, we are realizing how badly our entry and hallway need painting! So that's on our short-list as well.









this shot shows more of the true color













it's a tad washed out in this one








I'm looking for input on our next project in the living room, so that's where you come in. I want to paint the brick & hearth (I think that's what it's called...the brick on the floor beneath the fireplace), and am not entirely sure what direction I want to go. We're going to remove the brass cover and have the inside of the fireplace exposed, but I'm leaning towards painting the brick a shade of chocolate brown. I want a warm contrast between the ivory trim and wall color. The colors of the rug are tan/taupe and chocolate brown. I also considered a tan color for the brick; however, due to the hardwood floors being in that same family, I'm not sure I'd like that...I think I want more contrast against the floors. Sooooo, opinions, people...throw 'em at me! Once that is complete, we'll add some window panels and accessories on the fireplace, and I'll try to remember to take some more pics so you can see the finished product :)


























While I was attending my CBS Bible study about a month ago, we had our master bath toilet overflow! It wasn't even running when I left the house, but when I walked into the kitchen
through the garage, my head was getting dripped on (not a fun discovery)! I looked up and saw all this water leaking from upstairs. I ran up, only to find our toilet bowl still overflowing, so I grabbed every towel in the house to soak up the water, turned off the water line, and called the plumber. Thankfully he was able to arrive soon after! The damage could have been much, much worse, so we're so glad I came home when I did! But because of that whole mess, we need to make some repairs to our kitchen ceiling and woodwork...add that to the (unexpected) project list.

I've been getting requests for some belly photos lately. I wasn't a big fan of documenting my growing belly with my previous 2 pregnancies, so I beg the question, "Why start now?"; but for those family and friends who I can't see in person, if you really must see photos, I snapped a couple to prove that we really are taking the plunge for the 3rd time. I'm sure I will appreciate these photos someday ;-) I took these today...I believe I'm 15 weeks now...I've done a poor job keeping track this time around!







if you don't think i look too pregnant in this shot, well...
















...you can certainly tell from this angle!











Changing gears, I know I requested that you all share pictures from your Christmas; however, I was a slacker this year, and didn't do such a great job taking photos myself. I'll post a few, but quite honestly, I was enjoying just sitting on my keister watching the boys have fun. We had a wonderful, lazy Christmas. We stayed with Dave's parents for a few nights, along with his newly-married sister and her hubby. We pretty much lived in our pajamas, and I think I maybe did my hair and put on makeup once. This also might have something to do with the lack of pictures ;-)

I'm often guilty of taking SO many pictures, that I end up missing out on the moment. I wanted to truly cherish them all this year, and not be stuck behind a camera lens (although, that's typically one of my favorite positions) :)


Our dear friend, Barb came to celebrate with us on Christmas day, too...the boys love her! You can also see the two newlyweds snuggled on the couch in the background ;-)
















This Hot Wheels race track was a highlight...both Will and Graham love this thing!













Will is into ANYTHING having to do with cars and trucks these days...here's Dave helping him set up his repair shop.

















This little bundle of energy does not stop smiling...this looks like a, "I just woke up, and am ready to cause some trouble" smile!











This is Will's "CHEESE" smile...I can't get him to smile naturally for pictures!

6 comments:

MP said...

oh my goodness the boys are getting so big. we are going to have to skype soon or at least plan a trip to see each other!! You look adorable, and don't look pregnant at all. So teeny tiny!!! :) And, I love the bathrooms. I think either chocolate or white for the fireplace..or you could always get cheap tiles and tile it...that always makes for a fun time with small children! :):)

the deKorne family said...

Your house is beautiful! I don't think I'll ever have the grown up looking of a house. :) Yeah, my stomach is definitely bigger than yours and I'm NOT pregnant. (for once) Ohhh to be skinny. :) So glad you had a great Christmas! YOu are a beautiful family, every cute one of you!

ProudMom said...

I didn't KNOW! How exciting for number 3!!! Woo Hoo! Is it just me, or does it seem like Will was just born!!?!? How do they grow up so fast?? Your house is beautiful, your family is beautiful, your belly is beautiful! :)

The Moser Fam... said...

awesome house...you have a gift! your belly is so cute and barely there! :)

Matt and Abby said...

I really like your paint colors! I may have to get that taupe gray color name from you.
Also, that's what my stomach looks like right now, all the time. bleh.
Anyway, I vote for a white fireplace, but that wasn't an option. So good luck with that!

ProudMom said...

What about a glossy black on the fireplace bricks? A friend of mine did that with gray walls, and it looked super classy. It looks like you have some black on the walls too...so I don't think it would "clash" with brown accents...