Friday, February 19, 2010

All in Favor of Easy & Yummy Recipes Say, "I"!

I'll start this random blog with a funny story. Although I never had the privilege of meeting Dave's grandparents, I've heard some great stories about them, and there's one that sticks out in my mind that I thought went well with this entry. If Dave's grandmother tried her hand at a new recipe and his grandfather wasn't particularly fond of it, he would say, "It's good, but you don't have to bother making it again." HA :)

Since Dave's and my tastebuds aren't always on the same page, I was pretty excited when I tried a new recipe that Dave thought I should make again. I wouldn't consider myself a gourmet chef (a far cry, actually); however, I'm beginning to enjoy cooking more and more. The recipe I'm sharing is from "Real Simple" magazine...anyone else a big fan?! The recipe caught my eye because it said the prep time was 15 minutes - PERFECT ;-) And since I have so many other mommy blogger friends who run busy lives as well, I thought I'd share this recipe that we tried tonight:

Mediterranean Beef Pitas
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Serves 4

Shape 1 pound ground beef into 16 patties. Season with salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano. Brown over medium heat, 2 minutes per side for medium. top 4 pocketless pitas with hummus, the patties, flat-leaf parsley, and sliced red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with lemon wedges.

The only thing that would make the pitas better is if we were enjoying them in the Greek Isles with a glass of wine...mmmm :)

7 comments:

kelly said...

so, i'm curious...
first of all, this sounds scrumptious and i'm going to try it this week. but i'm wondering about the other pitas. do you put them on top like a bun? why only 14 pitas but 16 patties? did i read that right? i've never been very good at math. :)

kelly said...

i mean 4 pitas, not 14. now i have a typo on top of everything.

Courtney said...

Hey Kelly! I forgot you're a blogger now...I'll be stalking your blog on a frequent basis :) I think the thought is to put 4 small patties on each of the 4 pitas (hence a total of 16 patties). I only put two on each, but next time I might do 3..kinda depends on the pitas you buy, I think. They're pretty tasty...I really liked the flavor.

kelly said...

yay! my first internet stalker! :) thanks for figuring out that math for me. i'm going to try them this week - it sounds so good. and we love your chili recipe around here!! one last question, when you season your patties, do you sprinkle the S&P&oregano on top or knead/mix it in or what?

Courtney said...

I kneaded the spices into the patties. hope you enjoy them as much as we did :)

MP said...

oh this sounds great courtney!!! Thanks for posting :)

Lindsey said...

Courtney, this sounds delicious! I love that it's easy and quick to make. I'm trying to beef up my cooking skills! :)